This week’s “Parish Table Talk”: Discernment Tips; Sharing the Orlando Convocation; Adult Confirmation; Upcoming Marriage Events; Workshop for RL Coordinators; CRS challenge; Hollywood highlight.
Parish Table Talk
• Simple tips for discernment and giving advice: When accompanying others through life it is often difficult to know what to say or what questions to ask. This article has some simple steps and questions to ask when facing decisions in life. It is important not only to ask questions but also to listen.
• Sharing the Convocation 2017: At the Convocation in Orlando, Cardinal Tobin shared this reflection on personal witness in bringing people closer to Christ. Cardinal Tobin includes a few words on the cup of suffering that Jesus speaks of in the Gospel. On this feast of St. Alphonsus, a poignant writer of Our Lord’s suffering and passion, may we each reflect on our call to be witnesses to the Gospel message.
• Registration for Adult Confirmation: Online Registration for the Oct 8, 2017 Adult Confirmation at the Cathedral of Mary Our Queen will be available soon. Only parish representatives will have access to the online registration form, so individuals interested in receiving the Sacrament of Confirmation must contact their parish office. The parish will be responsible for obtaining the candidate’s baptismal certificate, ensuring that the individual has been appropriately catechized to receive the sacrament, and that their sponsor is a Catholic in good standing.
• Upcoming Marriage Events: The Office of Marriage and Family Life has the following upcoming events — Prepare Enrich Training on August 26th at St. Augustine in Elkridge, Witness to Love Training Session on September 16th at St. Ursula in Parkville, and GIVEN Retreat on September 30th at St. Joseph in Fullerton.
• Respect Life Coordinator workshop: Are you a Respect Life Coordinator at your parish? Are you interested in getting involved in Respect Life Ministry at your parish, but have no clue where to start? Are you a pastor who knows a parishioner who is passionate about prolife issues who you would like to recommend to this ministry? The Office of Respect Life is holding its annual Respect Life Coordinator workshop on Saturday, August 26, 2017 from 8:30am – 2:00pm. All Respect Life Coordinators are encouraged to attend and anyone who might be interested in Respect Life Ministry at the parish is also welcomed to attend. Our keynote speaker is Bishop Mark E. Brennan, and we will have some dynamic workshops in the afternoon. Light breakfast and lunch will be provided. Registration cost is $10. Please register online no later than August 16th by following the link on the Respect Life webpage. Contact Natasha Wilson at Natasha.firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-547-5537 for more information.
• 25,000 Meal Challenge: Join the Baltimore Orioles and Catholic Relief Services in celebrating Camden Yards’ 25th Anniversary and fighting hunger together! Start or join a team at orioles.crs.org to help send 25,000+ meals to the women and children of Burkina Faso, West Africa. The Challenge culminates on Saturday, September 2nd, 2017 from 10am-12pm with a spirited meal-packaging event at Camden Yards for registered event volunteers alongside Orioles’ Hall of Famer Mike Bordick and the Oriole Bird. Giveaways include Orioles game tickets & autographed memorabilia. Space for event volunteers is limited, so sign up now!
• Hollywood highlight: Hesitant about sharing a moving and personal God-moment publicly, especially on social media? Actress Patricia Heaton didn’t hold back and allowed her moment of grace to a blessing to many others.