This week’s “Parish Table Talk”: Join the Gospel Choir for the Ecumenical and Interfaith Prayer Service; Ministry with Young Adults; Equip Courses in Spanish; Good Friday Way of the Cross; Synod on Young People, the Faith, and Vocational Discernment; Beauty and Evangelization; Sister Jean and the Sweet 16
Parish Table Talk
• Join the Gospel Choir for the Ecumenical and Interfaith Prayer Service with Archbishop Lori: You are invited to join the Gospel Choir that will perform during the Archbishop’s Ecumenical and Interfaith Prayer Service honoring the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr on April 12th. For more details about the choir, how to join, and rehearsal times, please see this flyer. This opportunity is open to anyone who is interested in being part of this event honoring our Archdiocese’s commitment to upholding the dignity of every human being and addressing the sin of racism. No experience singing Gospel music is required, just an open and willing heart.
• Ministry with Young Adults: This year’s Spring Formation is a conversation on the findings of the V Encuentro and the Synod on Young People, the Faith, and Vocational Discernment. All those whose ministry connects with young adults ages 18 – 39 are invited to hear the findings of the Synod and V Encuentro. Ministry leaders are invited to bring young adults to participate in this day to share their insights and experiences. Please register here. Here are flyers that can be shared with your networks.
• Equip Courses in Spanish: The Division of Catechetical and Pastoral Formation continues to provide Equip for Ministry courses in Spanish for the formation in the Hispanic Community. There are two courses coming up soon (click here for FLYER). Please also see this informational flyer to find out more about these Equip Courses in Spanish. Please share with those who may be interested in your parish communities.
• Good Friday Way of the Cross: Join Archbishop Lori as we join in prayer from St. Alphonsus Church to the Planned Parenthood facility on Howard St. in Baltimore. We will pray the Stations of the Cross on the way to Planned Parenthood, then a Rosary outside of Planned Parenthood, and a Chaplet of Divine Mercy as we return to St. Alphonsus. This is a public witness with our shepherd of our desire to ask for God’s grace to end abortion, particularly at the Planned Parenthood facility. We will also offer our prayers in hopeful expectation of the construction of the Center for Pregnancy Concerns pregnancy resource center right next door to Planned Parenthood. So please come out and join us for this important hour of prayer. Please spread the word! This event will be bilingual.
• Synod on Young People, the Faith, and Vocational Discernment: This past week the Holy Father hosted more than 300 young adults from around the world to share their thoughts on the guiding questions for the Synod on Young People, the Faith, and Vocational Discernment for a pre-synodal learning process and conversation. On Palm Sunday these young adults handed Pope Francis the document of their collective voice. This document will be contribute to the Instrumentum Laborius for the Synod in October 2018. We can use this document as a guide for our collaboration, accompaniment, and ministry with young adults.
• Beauty and Evangelization: This article talks about a British study in which 13% of teenagers who converted to Catholicism reported that they did so because of the beauty found in the architecture of churches and cathedrals, as well as in prayer. Although the percentage of teens that identified with this path to the Church is not overwhelming, it shows that the path of beauty still attracts. What are some ways in which the youth in your life and ministry have been attracted to the Church?
• Sister Jean and the Sweet Sixteen: Enjoy this short video/song highlighting the influential presence of a nun named Sister Jean on the Loyola (Chicago) Basketball team as their chaplain. Her accompanying presence has become a viral sensation. And it speaks volumes to her influence that this video was put together. Are there any Sister Jeans in your community?