This week’s “Parish Table Talk”: The US Supreme Court latest ruling on the Little Sisters of the Poor’s case; Welcoming new Confirmandi to the Archdiocese; Forming Intentional Disciples; Canon Law workshops; Our littlest missionary disciple; plus this Thursday’s blog post.
Watch for this Thursday’s Post: Parish Survey Series #5
Faith Is Not a Smoothie, by Ruth Puls, Director of Catechetical and Pastoral Formation.
- Little Sisters of the Poor’s case against HHS’s contraception mandate: On May 16, 2016, the U.S. Supreme Court unanimously agreed that the U.S. government cannot impose fines and other legal penalties to religious organizations that decline to facilitate health insurance coverage of sterilization, contraception, and drugs and devices that may cause abortions. The case against the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) is not completely resolved yet, but this decision by the Supreme Court allows the opportunity to find an alternative approach to the mandate.
- Forming Intentional Disciples: This Facebook group is inspired by Sherry Weddell’s book “Forming Intentional Disciples: The Path to Knowing and Following Jesus” and will most likely get you excited about its proposal to make Evangelization a concrete reality. Its forum hosts a 24/7 online discussion among like-minded Catholics — lay leaders, seminarians, religious, and clergy — about how to evangelize and make disciples in the 21st century.
- Update on Pentecost Confirmations: On May 15, approximately 150 candidates from 38 parishes were confirmed by Archbishop Lori and Monsignor Lloyd E. Aiken at the Cathedral of Mary Our Queen. We take this opportunity to thank all the parish staff and volunteers who work year-round to strengthen our parishioners’ Catholic faith!
- Canon Law Workshops: The Ecumenical Institute at St. Mary’s Seminary is hosting two summer workshops on Roman Catholic Canon Law in Parish Life on June 14th and June 28th. The topics include the Sacraments of Initiation and Marriage (Divorce and Annulment). Sign up today.
- Welcome, Andrew Coughlin!: Respect Life Consultant and Project Rachel Coordinator, Johanna Coughlin, gave birth last week to a precious baby boy. Congratulations on the new arrival!